Bitter Melon Omelette
A fluffy and flavourful omelette that is delicious and nutritious.
For the Bitter Melon
- Cut bitter melon in half length-wise and remove the seeds using a small spoon, cut into thin slices.
- Place bitter melon slices and ½ teaspoon salt in a mixing bowl. Toss gently to coat and let rest for 10 minutes. Wash and drain. This step is necessary to reduce bitterness from bitter melon.
- Preheat the sauce frying pan over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. When the oil is hot, add the minced garlic and chopped dried shrimp and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add the bitter melon and cook in 2 minutes on each side or until lightly brown.
- Add water and bring to boil. Cover and cook until there is no water left, about 2 minutes.
- Add brown sugar and freshly ground black pepper to taste and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Set aside.
For the Omelette
- In another mixing bowl, lightly beat together eggs with fried red onion until they are well combined. And then add bitter melon to combine.
- Preheat the sauce frying pan over medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon oil. When the oil is hot, pour egg mixture.
- Cook until the bottom is firm and golden brown and then flip and cook for another 20 seconds.
- Serve with rice